Things to Do:
- Water activities can be enjoyed within the estuary, at Mots Beach, Sampsons Beach and up from the Marlo Jetty. Swimming is advised against as the ocean beach at Corringle is unsafe due to strong rips and currents.
- Surf fishing is very popular. The most common fish caught are salmon, tailor and gummy shark. A concrete boat ramp is located at the slips, providing access to the Snowy River Estuary. An amateur fishing license is required for all waters in Victoria including ocean fishing.
- Areas sheltered from the wind and suitable for canoeing include the Corringle Slips backwater and French Narrows.
- The walking track from the picnic area takes in the Snowy River backwater providing access to the beach.
- Corringle Slip is also a popular camping area. Camping fees apply all year round. Fees can be paid on site into the self-ticketing registration box. During peak holiday periods, advance bookings selected by ballot are necessary to secure campsites. Ballot applications are available by contacting the Parks Victoria Orbost Office on (03) 5161 1222 . Bookings are not required outside these times, however, it is wise to contact the Orbost office for an indication of site availability.
- Corringle Slips is a relatively natural camping area close to the beach with barbecues, a picnic area, pit toilets, boat ramp and jetties.
- Be self-sufficient with drinking water. Carry it in and/or know how to make untreated water safe for drinking. For more information contact Parks Victoria on 13 1963 or visit the Department of Human Services Better Health website www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au.
The Corringle Slips Camping Area, situated at the mouth of the Snowy River Estuary in East Gippsland, offers spectacular bush camping in a natural setting close to the beach. Launch a boat at the ramp and explore the Snowy River and its backwaters, or walk along the beach to the entrance of the Snowy River. The Corringle Slips area offers a relaxing destination for fishing or simply enjoying nature.
- campsites unpowered
- disabled facilities
- BBQ facilities
For more information and bookings:
Phone: 13 1963
Corringle Foreshore Reserve
18km south of Newmerella (just west of Orbost). Turn off Princess Hwy at Newmerella at Corringle Rd